No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better...

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Are buttons male?





Whenever I buy something new, I tend to hang on to the little packets of buttons that come with the garment.  For ages, I kept these packets in a battered old tin that at some point had got squashed in one of my many moves so that the lid didn't sit right and was always bursting open.  And it wasn't as though I ever actually remembered that I had the packets whenever a button came loose.  The tin and its content just sat neglected in a corner of my bookcase.  So, last weekend I succumbed to the obvious and decanted all the little packets into a glass jam jar.  (I love jam jars).  I didn't have a pretty Bonne Maman checkered-lid jar to hand, so had to make do with Frank Cooper's marmalade.


The exercise was like a trip through my wardrobe of the last few years.  Long forgotten cardigans and dresses that I now don't have and must have given away to charity at some point.   But they make for quite a pretty button collection.













And I came across this label which I just can't throw away.


But I have to say, I was surprised that buttons are in fact male.  Not sure why, or if that says more about me than the man who made the label, but (to the extent that I had thought about it at all) I would have said they were female.

What do you think?  Buttons - male or female?

Claire

1 comment:

  1. I had not considered this before. However the more I ponder it, the more I think a button is male, even if it is pink and flowery. It's the button *ahem* hole that is female.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...