No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better...

Thursday, August 18, 2011

Wired

Thanks so much for all your good wishes.  You really are lovely, and I am so glad you want to share this new phase with me.

So, how many electric sockets do you have in your house?  And are you happy with their location, or do you find yourself trailing extension cords around the place so you can do the ironing while you watch the tele, or do you have to drag the mixer out from a corner every time you use it or walk half way around your house with the kettle in your hand to make a brew, or get half way up the stairs when the Hoover konks out and you're left with a flex dangling in mid air over the banisters?  And if you were given a chance to start again, would you know exactly where the sockets should go?  And the radiators?

These are the things that are keeping me awake at night at the moment.  I had what felt like 5 minutes to walk around the building site that is our house by the sea last week with two builders who wanted to know where everything would go.  In rooms that look like this


.  To be fair, they're not all that minimalist.  Most look like this:


And the kitchen's practically finished:


(Just kidding...)

And all things considered, I think I had a pretty good idea of what would go where.  (When we finished, the builders told me I could run a war I was so decisive.  That's a good thing, right?)  But now, everyone I speak to tells me that you can never have too many sockets.  And I'm not there anymore to figure it out.    Still, I have my own collection of extra length extension cords to fall back on.

And I have also chosen bathrooms, carpets,  wooden flooring, interior doors, a kitchen, taps, and tiles.  But bad for 10 days.

But in case you thought you'd tuned into the wrong blog, I have also been buying fripperies.  What do you think a girl needs most when she has a hall that looks like this?


Why, THIS, of course!


Isn't it just lovely?!  I'm thinking it needs a new cushion cover, but then I'm so handy with a needle that that shouldn't present any problem...


I bought it at a vintage fair near the house.  I was so excited I had to tell the poor guy selling it all about the 60s house it would be going to live in.  He tried hard to pretend he gave a fiddle.

Other than that, I was very good, except for one complete frippery which I couldn't resist.


It was only a tenner and the label said it still worked but needed a battery.  Of course it was only when I got it home that I realised that it needs one of those big old square batteries that you can't just pick up in the local Homebase.  So now I'm on the hunt for the right battery.

All in all, I think it's a good thing that I'm back in Manhattan.  Otherwise I'd be tormenting the builders and sneaking stuff in under the dust sheets.

C.x

6 comments:

  1. I'm excited about the old lady house and looking forward to the transformation... I'm in LOVE with the telephone table and simply NEED to have it in my home... but I will miss the updates on what is in Saks windows and all that is New Yorky... so if I could request an update before you leave please!? Our 1970s house simply does not have enough sockets...and I have to iron in the kitchen (but I think it is the iron that is faulty there). Enjoy this exciting phase x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Claire, you have been a busy girl! Good for you being so decisive about the sockets - you're right, its not an easy thing to be able to imagine where you would want them.
    And well done for organisng all the other stuff too - amazing!
    I just love that Ercol(?looks like it?)) telephone table, its so so sweet and simple.
    And the radio is brill!
    You are going to have so much fun doing up your new home to suit you!I look forward to following you along the way!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't worry to much about the sockets. If you are anything like me I am forever moving everything around, nothing is static...drives my poor husband nuts! Love the radio, not sure about the benchy thing, but I am sure that you will make it lovely! It must be hard to concentrate with so much going on at the moment? Love Linda x

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the bench and radio! So adorable!

    As for sockets, I have recently moved into a modern home from an old claptrap and am blessing the builders daily for putting outlets simply everywhere. We rearrange furniture the way some people change clothes, and it is a blessing to not have to worry about where the plugs will go! You will never regret having "too many" sockets but you may regret having too few ... so my advice is, go nuts with them. Shouldn't be too pricey if the house is small.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you are quite busy. If you have a socket every 6 feet, you will not need an extension cord anymore, so they say...Love your "new" radio, so cool...Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent a renovation! can't wait to see the inbetween and after pictures. The door out to the garden looks like it has a whole heap of potential. How exciting.
    - Annie

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...